Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Leaving on a Jet Plane



Today we are getting some fresh and fluffy snow here in Michigan!

You might think what is this Texas girl doing in Michigan...well I live in Texas but work in Michigan...it is quite a commute hahaha! Once a week I pack my bags (let's be hones I never unpack them when I come home)  and fly to Michigan, then on the weekends I fly back home to be with my family! I've had this lifestyle for almost two years now (different states but same routine) and I love it, I'm not going to lie there are times when I hate waking up early or get really frustrated when I get delayed or stuck in an airport (last year I got stuck in Vermont on Valentine's Day...my fiance wasn't happy about that!)

Over the past two years I have learned a lot of things about being a 'Business Traveler' and I would like to share those things with y'all:

1) Enroll in all of the loyalty programs that you can: I highly recommend enrolling in hotel and airlines loyalty programs; when you travel as much as I do it is nice to know that when you get stuck somewhere or miss a flight you won't charge extra fees to get home. It is also really nice not to have to pay for baggage fees when I travel (it's a little bad for the over packer in me!)

2) Always pack and extra set of clothes in your carry on: I didn't always do this, but after being stuck in airports several times I starting carrying extra clothes. A couple of months ago I was coming to Michigan and got stuck in Minneapolis; it was a Sunday afternoon and of course I was wearing casual clothes. The next morning I had a meeting with the client and I couldn't show up wearing leggings and a baggy sweater...Luckily I was smart enough to pack a dress and a pair of heels in my carry on bag, I made it to my meeting on time and looked the part :)

3) There is no such thing as being over-prepared: My fiance always makes fun of me because in my purse I have make up remover wipes, anti-bacterial wipes, travel size hairspray, travel size deodorant, contact solution, contact case, Advil, trial size mascara....you get the idea...When you travel you never know what might happen, it is a great thing to be prepared for anything! The travel isle at the grocery store is my best friend...I even found a tide to go travel size pen! I was way too excited about that! haha

4) Make friends with the people at the hotel and airline counters: These people can make your life a lot easier when you travel. There have been times when the hotel we stay at is sold out and for some reason I forgot to make my reservation for that week; I was freaking out a little bit because I thought I was going to have to sleep on the street that week (I'm a little dramatic lol), but the guy at the front desk got me a room and gave me a hard time for not making my reservation...Another time I was stuck in Vermont due to weather, but i really needed to get home that day, the lady at the airline counter was able to get me on a flight out of Vermont and get me home that night...as bad as my experiences traveling might be sometimes, these people really try to do their best to make your travels easier. I still get birthday cards and Christmas cards from the hotel where I used to stay in Vermont :)

5) Plan complete outfits when you pack: When I started traveling I always packed clothes but didn't have complete outfits, this became a problem because when got to my destination I wasn't happy with what I had packed and it also led to over packing. Now I plan complete outfits; from the clothes I am going to wear all the way to the jewelry that will complete my outfits :) This has helped me get ready faster in the mornings, stop over packing (well I still over pack but not as much!), and love the outfits I am going to wear while I am away.

6) Always check the weather: This might be common sense; but you should always check the weather for your destination as well as your departure place. Checking the weather will help you pack for the place where you are going as well as for your return back home. This is always helpful for me because it might be 60 degrees in Texas and 20 degrees and snowing in Michigan (just like today!)

7) Learn to adapt to the weather: Getting dressed for work in Texas and getting dressed for work in Michigan is quite different, specially during the winter. In Michigan when it is snowing I wear my snow boots and snow jacket to leave the hotel...I usually leave my heels at the office and change when I get there. When I started traveling I made the mistake to wear heels outside, while it was snowing....big mistake...needless to say I fell and one of my shoes got stuck in the snow so I had to walk barefoot across the street to retrieve my shoe...it was really embarrassing....

8) Do your research: I believe this is one of the most important things I can tell y'all...it doesn't matter where you are going to be or what you will be doing; always be informed about the place you will be visiting. I have a coworker that researches the best restaurants, the best grocery stores, and things to do in the city; we might be traveling for work but we still want to make the most of it! Research help me when I switch from traveling US Airway ans started traveling with Delta...I was really upset because after a year and a half of traveling with US Air I had to start from the bottom again; but after doing my research I realize that Delta has a status match program, this allowed me to keep my status with a different airline :) Always do your research you never know what you might find!

9) Enjoy yourself: It doesn't matter where you are going or why you are going there; make the most of your travels...there are a lot of people who would kill to have the same opportunities :)


I hope these tips will help on your future travels!! :)



Love, Isabel

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished